Whether or not to observe Halloween can be a controversial topic in the Christian faith. Some Christians see it as innocent and harmless, while others are convinced it is a satanic holiday that celebrates the worship of demonic spirits. What are we to do?
Image courtesy of: WoofBC
“You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.” – Mark 7:8
Like many Christians, deep down I have traditionally found myself to be somewhat conflicted by today. The demonic aspect to me has always been discomforting and sometimes even down-right disturbing. But I can also appreciate the beauty and innocence of the little princess who comes to my door, rings the doorbell, and peers up at me with her beautiful little eyes, in her sweet little voice says, “trick-or-treat.”
So, what are we to do? What should be believe? Are we disrespecting God, or is it just clean fun? How should we feel inside as most of America marches through the streets, trick-or-trunk-o-treating? I believe that many Christians wrestle with these very thoughts.
As a person who loves God with all my heart, and being somewhat conflicted, I must admit that I spent the bulk of my non-working hours today seeking what the Word of God says about this.
I am NOT going to do is try to persuade you from your convictions or advise on what you should do. I believe the Word of God holds the answer for each and every one of us – not only on this matter, but for every circumstance, every challenge, every question, and every need.
But I am happy to share with you some of the scriptures that I came across that helped shape my current perspective. And I expect that God’s Word will speak to each of us and give exactly what we need to hear. He will meet us exactly where we are and give us exactly what we need.
Here are some of the highly relevant scriptures that I found:
- And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. – Colossians 3:17
- Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. – Romans 12:2
- You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. – Matthew 5:14-16
- All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything. – 1 Corinthians 6:12
- Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin. – Romans 14:13,22,23
- Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me. – Mark 9:37
- On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” – Mark 2:17
- The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you. – Romans 16:20
- Thou shalt have no other gods before Me – Exodus 20:3
- The LORD said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” Satan answered the LORD, “From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.” – Job 1:7
- Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. – 1 Peter 5:8-9
- But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. – 2 Corinthians 11:3
- The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. – John 10:10
- Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. – James 4:7
- Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.” – Matthew 16:23
- Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. – Ephesians 6:11-16
- Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’” Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him. – Matthew 4:10-11
- And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. – Revelation 12:9
- And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. – 2 Corinthians 11:14
- Seven sons of a Jewish high priest named Sceva were doing this. But the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I recognize, but who are you?” And the man in whom was the evil spirit leaped on them, mastered all of them and overpowered them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. – Acts 19:14-16
- You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. – James 4:4
- Therefore, “Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you. – 2 Corinthians 6:17
- “On that day of judgment,” says the Lord, “I will punish the leaders and princes of Judah and all those following pagan customs. Yes, I will punish those who participate in pagan worship ceremonies, and those who fill their masters’ houses with violence and deceit.” – Zephaniah 1:8-9
- Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed at that moment. – Matthew 17:18
- The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. – John 21:17
- As they began to sing and praise, the LORD set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated. – 2 Chronicles 20:22
I hope today’s Word has been a blessing to you!
If it has, would you please take 30 seconds and re-post and share?
Image courtesy of: Greg Siebrand
The greatest gift you can give is the gift of salvation.
Have a great day!
Dear heavenly Father, thank you for your Word today. Thank you for working on my heart, and sharpening iron with iron in today’s Bible study group. Thank you for my brothers and sisters in Christ, those you have surrounded me and blessed me with. Let me be a blessing to them Lord. Let your Holy Spirit flow through me. Give us wisdom and bring us closer to You, to your Word, to your Truth! We seek you first in all that we do, and give you all the honor and glory an praise, in Jesus mighty name. Amen.
Photo By WoofBC
Please follow and like us: