As I reflect on the scriptures today, I can’t stop my mind from racing in anticipation for the upcoming new year. I think about all of the success of this past year. And of course I can’t help but be reminded of the things in this past year that didn’t go so well.
Maybe you can relate. Did you have some things hoped for that didn’t come to pass this past year? It can be very easy to get disappointed or frustrated when our dreams and hopes are not aligned with God’s Will or with his timing.
“This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commands and remain faithful to Jesus.” – Revelation 14:12
Image courtesy of: Adi ALGhanem
Notice that we are not just called to patience alone. And we are not just called to endurance. Rather, we are called to patient endurance. That means that we are called to be patient while we endure.
Notice is doesn’t say that it is necessarily going to be easy either. We don’t need endurance for something that is easy. And during this difficult time we are going to have to be patient and trust God more than ever.
We may not see painful situations relieved instantly. We may not always get prayers answered how and when we want them answered. Maybe we are not getting what we want and we think God is not listening or working on our behalf.
But God is always working on our behalf even if we don’t see him doing so. That is why we have to walk by faith and not by sight. Walking by faith requires us to walk in agreement with the Word of God even when everything that we see and hear, and all evidence in the flesh tells us otherwise. God will provide, for our God is faithful.
- “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:19
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” – Philippians 4:6
You may be familiar with the lyrics made famous by the Rolling Stones, “You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes you just might find that you get what you need.” Whether you are a Rolling Stones fan or not, there is some great truth in this life to these words for believers. God is with us, and he will always provide what we need.
Maybe you are praying for something and your prayers have not been answered yet. Maybe you are seeing evil wicked people being blessed in the flesh. Maybe you are seeing those with dark hearts cheating and stealing from others and getting away with it. Maybe you are upset with the fussing and fighting, lies and deceit in the government and in all the media. Or maybe you just see folks who are taking advantage of others when they are down or desperate, and this isn’t sitting well with you.
Now more than ever followers of Jesus Christ need to hear and heed the words found in revelation for patient endurance. Now more than ever do we need to seek the Lord our God. Now more than ever do we need to draw close to his love and mercy. Now more than ever do we need to walk in his ways and not let darkness overtake us. For God is love and light. And when we find ourselves frustrated, mad, upset, worried, fearful, anxious, or any other feeling or emotion that is creeping in on our peace, that is when we need to lay ourselves down at the feet of Jesus and cry out to him all the more for his love, his mercy, and his grace.
- “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:7
There is no better day than today to lay yourself down at the feet of Jesus, ask him to be your Lord and Savior, and to guide your steps. In him you will find rest, and hope, and peace.
I call you blessed.
Dear heavenly Father, thank you for your Word today. We are so grateful for all that you have done for us, and all that you continue to do on our behalf. We seek you now. We seek you first. And we thank you for the revelation that you reveal to us continually through your Holy Spirit. We thank you now for all that you have blessed us with. And we thank you for strength, and courage, and love, and peace that rules in our hearts, shines like a beacon in the night, and washes away the darkness. We know the plans that you have for us, plans to prosper and not to be harmed, plans to give us hope and a future. We thank you for all of this, and more. We give you all the honor and glory and praise, in Jesus mighty name. Amen.
Today’s full reading: Revelation 10-14
Image courtesy of: mustafaaydinol
Additional Scripture Reference:
- “And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.” – Thessalonians 5:14
- “He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.” – Romans 2:6
- “Be patient, therefore, brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient about it, until it receives the early and the late rains. You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.” – James 5:7-8
- “For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus.” – Romans 15:4-5
- “Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.” – Revelation 2:10
- “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.” – James 1:12
- “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.” – Luke 16:10
- “May the Lord repay every man for his righteousness and his faithfulness, for the Lord delivered you into my hand today, but I would not stretch out my hand against the Lord’s anointed.” – 1 Samuel 26:23
- “For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.” – 2 Chronicles 16:9
- “Help, Lord, for the godly man ceases! For the faithful disappear from among the sons of men.” – Psalms 12:1
- “A faithful man will abound with blessings.” – Proverbs 28:20
- “His lord said to him, Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.” – Matthew 25:21
- “If you have not been faithful in what is another man’s, who will give you what is your own?” – Luke 16:12
- “Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful.” – 1 Corinthians 4:2
Please follow and like us: