Have you ever sat there and reflected on the amazing world that we live in? There is so much beauty in God’s creation for us to experience and enjoy every day. All of God’s creation is truly a witness of his goodness.
At the same time I often ponder how so much darkness and wickedness can exist among all of this light and life. It’s like sharpie pen marks written across and debasing the Mona Lisa. It’s graffiti on God’s creation. It’s almost unfathomable.
Fortunately we have a real role model, Jesus Christ, who shows us how to live. Jesus shows us the Way, he shows us the Truth, and he shows us the Life!
Image courtesy of: byzantiumbooks
“They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it.” – 1 Peter 3:11
I like this plain and simple model for life. Turn from evil and do good. Seek peace and pursue it. If everyone followed this simple formula, the world would not have so many problems.
Unfortunately, none of us are immune to the attacks of this world. Darkness exists everywhere. And at some point we all face the attack of the enemy and harmful and hurtful things happen to us. The Bible warns us that in this world there will be trouble. But it is how we respond that matters.
Even when we turn from this evil, take the high road, and seek and pursue peace, this does not mean that we will be free from harm. On the contrary, we sometimes suffer more because we stand for what is right. But in our suffering for Christ we are eternally blessed.
- “For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.” – 1 Peter 3:17,18
God empowers those who turn from their wicked ways, repent, and walk in the Lord’s Ways. God’s faithful can expect the gift of the Holy Spirit which is the power of the Spirit of Christ in us. We are empowered with the same Spirit that rose Jesus from the grave, and this power lives in us.
Knowing all of this, when we are frustrated, when we are wronged, when we are disrespected, when the enemy tries to turn our attention to selfishness and pride, we must be able to recognize this from evil and turn from it. And upon turning from evil we can launch a counter-attack by doing good. God will fight our battles, but this is a great way to gift ourselves with love and peace.
Our ultimate peace comes from the Lord and through the Word of God. But we can experience more love and peace by doing good. And while it is true that we might suffer in the short term for Christ, we will be rewarded for an eternity. Our souls will be safe in the arms of our Lord.
Finally, let us pray continually knowing that God will deliver us from the hand of the enemy. Further, let us be confident knowing the Lord blesses those who are faithful. How beautiful it is to walk with the Lord Almighty, the Lion of Judah.
Dear heavenly Father, we come to you with open hearts and minds, ready to receive your Word today. Thank you for revealing to us exactly what we need to hear today. Help us to turn from evil and to do good. Give us strength to do this, and peace and understanding to recognize this opportunity. When we are frustrated, upset, confused, and lost, help us to know this is when we need you most. Help us to walk in the footsteps of Jesus, and in your Holy Spirit. We give you all the honor and glory and praise, in Jesus mighty name. Amen.
Today’s full reading: Isaiah 40-42; 1 Peter 3
Scripture References From Today’s Reflection:
- “For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.” – Romans 1:19.20
- “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me’.” – John 14:6
- “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
- “If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.” – John 14:15-17
- “The Lord shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.” – Exodus 14:14
“For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us” – Ephesians 2:14
- “But if you also suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. And do not fear their fear, nor be troubled” – 1 Peter 3:14
- “But do not fear, rather in our hearts revere Christ as Lord and be prepared to give reason for our hope that we have.” – 1 Pet.3:13-15
- “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful over a few things; I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord!” – Matthew 25:23
- “And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” – Matthew 6:13
- “The LORD rewards everyone for their righteousness and faithfulness. The LORD delivered you into my hands today, but I would not lay a hand on the LORD’s anointed.” – 1 Samuel 26:23
Please follow and like us: