The Lord is often referred to in the Bible as our shepherd, and we as His sheep. Ezekiel 34 is one of these places in scripture that gives us some insight as to what it means to be part of the flock. In this great scripture, we learn about the role of the shepherd and what we can expect when we choose the Lord as our shepherd.
Scripture: ““I will make a covenant of peace with them and rid the land of savage beasts so that they may live in the wilderness and sleep in the forests in safety. I will make them and the places surrounding my hill a blessing. I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessing. The trees will yield their fruit and the ground will yield its crops; the people will be secure in their land. They will know that I am the Lord, when I break the bars of their yoke and rescue them from the hands of those who enslaved them. They will no longer be plundered by the nations, nor will wild animals devour them. They will live in safety, and no one will make them afraid. I will provide for them a land renowned for its crops, and they will no longer be victims of famine in the land or bear the scorn of the nations. Then they will know that I, the Lord their God, am with them and that they, the Israelites, are my people, declares the Sovereign Lord. You are my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, and I am your God, declares the Sovereign Lord.” – Ezekiel 34:25-31
In Ezekiel 34, here are a few of the primary things that the Lord promises to those who choose to be in his care:
- Peace – from the attacks of the enemy – (verse 25)
- Sleep/rest – (verse 25)
- Safety – (verses 25 & 28)
- Blessings – both personally and in places surrounding us – (verse 25-26)
- Fruit and harvest – we will see the fruit and harvest of our efforts – (verse 27)
- Security – (verse 27)
- Relief – from the yoke that is weighing us down, from the heavy burden that we no longer have to carry – (verse 27)
- Freedom – from whatever or whoever we are chained to and that is holding us back – addictions, depression, oppression – (verse 27)
- Fearlessness – nothing and no one will make us afraid – (verse 29)
- Land/food – earthly blessings and abundance “land known for its crops” – (verse 29)
- Favor/regard/admiration/respect – we will not “bear the scorn”, instead, we will be known as the sheep of the Sovereign Lord, our God Most High – (verse 29)
Another commonly referred to reference is in Psalm 23 where it says, “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.” – (NIV). Another translations says that, “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.” (NKJV). As part of the Lord’s flock, we have everything that we will ever want, and everything that we will ever need – and more!
There is perfect contentment, peace, rest, safety, security, relief from our burdens, freedom from fear, freedom from worry, freedom from anything holding us back or that has us in chains – and there is favor, blessings, and abundance available to us through our Lord Jesus Christ. There is no better place for us to be than under His care!
Dear heavenly Father, thank you for this Word today. Thank you for all that you have done for us, and all that you continue to do for us. We are humbled by your greatness, and overwhelmed by your love. We are so honored to be part of your family, an heir to your kingdom, a member of your flock. We choose You Lord first, above all else. We seek you first. We honor you first. We give you honor and glory first. We want nothing more than to be in your Presence. Pour out your Holy Spirit upon us. Let it flow through us, cleanse us, and make us new. Fill us with all of your goodness. Break the chains that bind us. Give us freedom in you. In Jesus mighty name. Amen.
Image courtesy of: 1991568456rtbp
Photo By 1991568456rtbp
Please follow and like us: