How much blessing can be found in Jesus? It is like a store house, like rain from the heavens! Today’s scripture in Deuteronomy 28 outlines this very specifically for us. Similarly, it also outlines curses for disobedience. Some of us have been on both sides of this equation. Thank God for Jesus. All our hope and peace lies in Him. And when you boil down today’s scripture it comes to this: the Lord promises that we will be blessed if we seek him first and grow in the knowledge of the Lord, trust his holy nature, and obey his commands. Take a minute and meditate on every single word this morning, and throughout your day. You will be so encouraged and blessed!
- “If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth.
- All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God:
- You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country.
- The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks.
- Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed.
- You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out.
- The Lord will grant that the enemies who rise up against you will be defeated before you. They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven.
- The Lord will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. The Lord your God will bless you in the land he is giving you.
- The Lord will establish you as his holy people, as he promised you on oath, if you keep the commands of the Lord your God and walk in obedience to him.
- Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they will fear you.
- The Lord will grant you abundant prosperity—in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground—in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you.
- The Lord will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none.
- The Lord will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the Lord your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom.
- Do not turn aside from any of the commands I give you today, to the right or to the left, following other gods and serving them.” – Deuteronomy 28: 1-14
Moses cast out a vision to the Israelite’s utilizing two angles. The first ones shows us what happens when we follow Jesus, and the second one shows us what happens when we don’t. Some curses for disobedience include anxious, longing, despair, constant suspense, filled with dread both day and night, never sure of your life, terror that will fill your hearts and the sights that you will see. Sadly, how much of this do we see visible in our society today? How much of this do we experience in our lives? How much have we turned from seeking the Lord our God first and most in everything that we do?
Understanding that there is blessing through obedience, and curses for disobedience is so important. Making that known to everyone provides such great clarity. And while this is such an important lesson for us spiritually, we can apply this in so many places in our lives. This is useful in any position of authority, as well as in specific disciplines like in our health, finances, and so on. Some examples of where we can immediately apply this include:
- We can use it in our homes with our children to help them understand actions and consequences by reinforcing both both good and bad behavior.
- At work it is an effective way to reinforce following the benefits of following the identified process, as well as highlighting the costs and risks associated when we don’t.
- We can use it in clarity of vision and our presentations for projects, what the project is, and what the project is not.
We all have the right to choose what to do with our lives and our time. We can choose obedience to God which yields blessing, or we can side with the world and experience the reverse. But the Word of God is truth. We can always count on His Word to come to pass. My prayer for you today is that you choose the truth, the light, and the Way, so that you can experience God’s amazing love, grace and mercy. My hope is that you will choose to serve Christ and experience all of the blessings that He has promised to those who are faithful. God is always faithful. If there is one thing that you can count on, it is that God is faithful and that His Word will come to pass. I call you blessed!
Dear heavenly Father, thank you for you Word today, and for revealing to us everything that you decide to reveal of your truth. We recognize you as the source of all truth and all life. We give all honor and glory to you Lord, and receive your Son Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Fill us with your Holy Spirit, that we walk in your ways, for Your eternal glory. Bless us here that we might be a good example to the world of your goodness and mercy. We receive your blessings and promise now, in Jesus mighty name. Amen.
Today’s full reading: Deuteronomy 28-29; Galatians 6
Image courtesy of: Kevin H.
Please follow and like us: