Statistics, Quotes, And Knowing God
Isn’t it interesting how much we know about so many things, yet we know so little about our Creator, the One who formed us and gave us life? We know sports statistics of every game, every player, every sport, debate all of the details of politics and what every candidate said or did not say, and what is real news and fake news. We sit around at the break-room, gather friends and watch big sporting events, and flock to see the latest and greatest movie. And it absolutely awesome to enjoy these things in life as I am certain that God wants us to enjoy this life. But it’s important that we keep these things in perspective.
“He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’ and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.” – Matthew 16:2,3
It is truly impressive the amount of information that we can store up in our brains. And while we might be able to impress others with this knowledge, God is only impressed with our knowledge of Him. My wish for you today is that your heart is so drawn to Jesus, that you want to know nothing more than Him. My wish is that you know Jesus Christ and His amazing, unending, unshakable, unbreakable, overwhelming love. My wish is that we can reference scripture like our favorite sports statistics, or like quotes from our favorite movies and action heroes. My wish is that we want nothing more than to grow in our relationship with Him, that He guide our lives, and that we are blessed according to His riches in glory, on earth as it is in heaven. I call you blessed.
Dear heavenly Father, thank you for your Word this beautiful morning. Thank you for giving us wisdom and understanding. Help us to seek you first Lord. Give us the heart to learn your Word Father. Thank you the discernment to know that a fellow Christian brother’s life was in trouble this past week, and for the wisdom to know what to do and say, and who to call. Thank you for lifting our brother up, healing his heart, and giving him hope and a future. Use him for your glory! Thank you for letting us all enjoy enjoy another day, this beautiful day that you have made. Help us to make the most of this day. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. We give you all the honor and glory and praise, in Jesus mighty name. Amen.
Today’s full reading: 2 Samuel 4,5; Psalm 139, Matthew 16
Scripture References From Today’s Reflection:
- Then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature. – Genesis 2:7
- “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” – John 10:10
- “This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. ” – Psalm 118:24
- “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” – Jeremiah 29:11
- “For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.” – Isaiah 55:12
- “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” – Psalm 37:4
- “And I commend joy, for man has no good thing under the sun but to eat and drink and be joyful, for this will go with him in his toil through the days of his life that God has given him under the sun.” – Ecclesiastes 8:15
- “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” – Matthew 6:33
- “But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him”. – 1 Corinthians 2:9
Image courtesy of: dwatson3646