In today’s chosen scripture, Paul is talking about a large house with articles of gold and silver, and wood and clay, some article for special purposes, and some for common use. When God calls us, we are being used for a special purpose. That means that we are no longer of common use. We are special. We are like the silver and gold articles referred to in the house. We become useful to do things that we would not otherwise be used for. This means that we have to let go of the past, the common, the baggage that exists. We have to move on, and move forward, letting go of the things that are holding us back.
Image courtesy of: frozen stills
“Those who cleanse themselves from the latter (common purpose) will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.” – 2 Timothy 2:21
We are all being prepared and used for another purpose, a special purpose. Sometimes we don’t see this. Sometimes we know this calling and turn away from it and run in the other direction like Jonah. Ultimately, God uses us, even if we are unwilling. When we are unwilling, those tend to be our harder lessons because we are fighting God’s will. A prime example of this is Jonah who ended up thrown overboard to die but ends up in the belly of a fish for 3 days.
One thing is certain, we are all children of God chosen for a special purpose. We have been given the power to choose whether or not to seek the Lord our God, our Father, and our Creator. We have the choice to do his Will and walk in his Ways. We also have the choice to turn away and ignore His calling. But when we do, let us not be surprised when we end up in the belly of a whale.
If we are going through a change of some kind, we should pay special attention to what God is asking of us. There is a good chance that God is asking us to let go of something so that we can be used for something greater, something uncommon, something greater. Maybe re-read that last sentence and let that sink in for a minute.
Let us seek the Lord with all our hearts, all our minds, all our strength. And let us pray that God continually reveals the way in which we should go, and that we are obedient to his Will.
I call you blessed.
Dear heavenly Father, thank you for your Word today. Help us to embrace your calling in our lives. Use us according to your Will. Help us to know and utilize our talents for your glory. Help us to embrace change and know that you are preparing us for something greater, something special, and something holy. Give us peace and strength to step into the future that you have planned for us. Fill us with your goodness this morning, full of love, mercy, forgiveness, peace, joy, all good things that come from you. We receive these gifts and declare your blessings in our lives, in Jesus mighty name. Amen.
Today’s full reading: Jonah 1-4; 2 Timothy 2
Scripture References From Today’s Reflection:
- “But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.” – Deuteronomy 4:29
- “When you obey the voice of the Lord your God, to keep his commandments and his statutes that are written in this Book of the Law, when you turn to the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. “For this commandment that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off. It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will ascend to heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’ But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it.” – Deuteronomy 30:10-14
- “So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.” – Genesis 3:6
- “If you obey the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you today, by loving the Lord your God, by walking in his ways, and by keeping his commandments and his statutes and his rules, then you shall live and multiply, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are entering to take possession of it.” – Deuteronomy 30:16
- “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.” – Romans 12:2
Please follow and like us: